This week is National Coeliac Awareness Week so we are sharing Orlaith's delicious Gluten-free Red Velvet cake recipe.
- 60g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 10g cocoa powder
- 25ml red food colouring
- 150g self raising gluten free flour
- 1g gluten free baking powder
- 70ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 1lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper
- Beat the butter and sugar until light
- Add the egg slowly, beating well between each addition.
- Make a paste from the food colouring and cocoa powder and add to the main mix
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into the main mix and fold it in
- Add the buttermilk and mix gently through to clear
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake at 170°C for 45 - 50 mins
- Make the cream cheese topping by beating 125g cream cheese, 50g unsalted butter and 300g sieve icing sugar together and put into the fridge to set
- Cool your cake thoroughly before spreading the icing on top
Orlaith's top tips
Happy baking and stay for our news on reopening as we gather official information from Government; we look forward to seeing you again soon and serving a slice of this delicious cake in person, from July... hopefully making the most of the Headfort Garden!
- Always preheat your oven to a higher temperature than the baking temp
- I like Odlums Gluten free flour - you can also use regular flour for this recipe
- Make sure your brand of baking powder is gluten free!!!
- Your butter should be at room temperature for better aeration
- You can also use a round tin and double your icing to have some for filling too - extra bit of goodness 😉